Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

yeah that's another thing that gets me mad about tmpgenc dvd author--many ac3 files won't be accepted happily. the file giving you trouble i bet is the one for the second have of your project....

to answer your question though, yes just fix the one that won't load.

BTW if you have trouble with ac3fix, besliced works just as good.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jwmghf
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Oct 2004

Hey Lt.:

Yep, its always part 2 of the movie giving me .ac3 problems. Thanks, I'll try besliced too.

When I downloaded ac3fix from your link above I only got the an .exe file. I went to another link and picked up AC3fix GUI ver. 1.02.

Here's a quick question for you. It's difficult to guess the proper percentage rate of compression if I am loading two MPEG's on one 4.7GB dvd. So this is what I've been doing.

Load each MPEG up at 50%. It's usually a little too big for the dvd. So I run it through DvdShrink before I burn it. That makes sure the whole dvd is used. Is that a good procedure to use?? If not, what do you suggest??

Thanks,

jwmghf
      System Details:

Asus Rampage III Extreme, BIOS 1301, Chipset N/A, CPU Intel I7 980X,
      Memory OCZ OCZ3RPR1600LV12GK, Video Card Asus (ATI) EAH5970 (Core Clock 725MHz), SSD OCZ Revodrive SSD240, 2x WD RE4 2003FYYS, Optical Drives Pioneer BDR-206BK, Water Cooling CPU waterblock EK Supreme HF, EK Motherboard Waterblock EK-FB RE3, EK GPU EK-FC5970 Waterblock, Case Mountain Mods Extended Ascension, Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Load each MPEG up at 50%. It's usually a little too big for the dvd. So I run it through DvdShrink before I burn it. That makes sure the whole dvd is used. Is that a good procedure to use?? If not, what do you suggest??
        close, the estimates in tmpgenc are very accurate. i set (if 2 equal length files are to be put on a dvd) each to 48.75-49%. you'll never need shrink and you'll have a dvd that's not burned right to the limit but about 98% which is ideal IMO.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• jwmghf
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Oct 2004

Hey Lt.:

When I burn a movie that is 25fps(PAL format). Do I still use "Full screen (keep aspect ratio 2)" to keep the video in the original video format?? This setting is in TMPGEnc Plus, MPEG Setting, Advanced tab, Video arrange Method. If not, is Full screen the default??

Thanks,

jwmghf
          System Details:

Memory OCZ OCZ3RPR1600LV12GK, Video Card Asus (ATI) EAH5970 (Core Clock 725MHz), SSD OCZ Revodrive SSD240, 2x WD RE4 2003FYYS, Optical Drives Pioneer BDR-206BK, Water Cooling CPU waterblock EK Supreme HF, EK Motherboard Waterblock EK-FB RE3, EK GPU EK-FC5970 Waterblock, Case Mountain Mods Extended Ascension, Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by jwmghf
            Hey Lt.:

When I burn a movie that is 25fps(PAL format). Do I still use "Full screen (keep aspect ratio 2)" to keep the video in the original video format??
            Thanks,

jwmghf

yes.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• jwmghf
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Oct 2004

Hey Lt. Columbo:

I burned the movie in PAL format and it burned perfectly. When I put it in my player. It said it can't play this format of dvd. The dvd region is not supported.

I live in the US and I know our format is NTSC. Can I encode a 25fps movie and burn it to a dvd in the NTSC format? If so, how??

Thanks,

jwmghf
              System Details:

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

sure thing, all you need to get is dgpulldown. there is a guide too.

I burned the movie in PAL format and it burned perfectly. When I put it in my player. It said it can't play this format of dvd. The dvd region is not supported.
                too bad you didn't know that before

i don't use the wizard--i use the procedures in the guide there for PAL to NTSC, any questions...just holler
                Last edited by LT. Columbo; 24 Feb 2006, 05:05 AM.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• jwmghf
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Oct 2004

Man you are good!!!!!!!
                  System Details:

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

oh btw, the only thing i do different in that guide is use CBR instead of CQ. i use the wizard only to determine bitrate--then plug that value for CBR setting.

when you are done encoding and ran the file from tmpgenc through the simple de-mulitiplex, load the .m2v file in dgpulldown and select the 25 to 29.97 option---touch nothing else.
                    Last edited by LT. Columbo; 24 Feb 2006, 06:19 AM.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• jwmghf
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Oct 2004

Ok, I used a bit calculator to determine the bit rate. What to you do with the Wizard to determine the bit rate??

Also, the movie I'm converting has 2 halves. The calculated bit rate (for video) is 9341 on the 1st half. Its 8301 on the 2nd half. I am going to burn both halves to one dvd. Do these bit rates have to match or is it ok that they are different??

jwmghf
                      Last edited by jwmghf; 24 Feb 2006, 08:01 AM.
                      System Details:

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

that's way to high of bitrate. rule of thumb--keep under 7000 if possible. how long are each half in min?you don't need a bitrate calculator for this. simply load each half (assuming they are roughly the same length in minutes) in the wizard and press next>next. this takes you to the bitrate screen. move the slider till each is about 49%. maybe 48.75% (you don't want to have to use shrink later). when you get to that %, note the corresponding bitrate value above. write it down for each. this is the number you use. second question, it doesn't matter if they are different values.

you're making good progress
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

• jwmghf
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Oct 2004

Hey Lt:

My 1st # was 5177 so I used 5200and the 2nd # was 3758 so I used 3800. Are these quality numbers??

I then loaded both the ...m2v.pulldown.m2v file into TMPGE author. The new guide said to load the mp2 file in as audio, but, opted to use the .ac3 file I had created way earlier. Was this the right move? I think it was.

Anyway, off it went encoding and then to the burn and it seems to have worked perfectly!!! (However, I have not watched the entire film.)

Did I handle everything properly? Is there anything else I may have been able to improve on??

Thanks again,

jwmghf
                          System Details:

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by jwmghf
                            Hey Lt:

My 1st # was 5177 so I used 5200and the 2nd # was 3758 so I used 3800. Are these quality numbers??
                            I then loaded both the ...m2v.pulldown.m2v file into TMPGE author. The new guide said to load the mp2 file in as audio, but, opted to use the .ac3 file I had created way earlier. Was this the right move? I think it was.
                            Anyway, off it went encoding and then to the burn and it seems to have worked perfectly!!! (However, I have not watched the entire film.)

Did I handle everything properly? Is there anything else I may have been able to improve on??
                            Thanks again,

jwmghf
                            the first one is, the second file is longer in runtime? if so i do a 60-40 split as opposed to 50-50 to even out the bitrates, but that's pretty good for your first time.

yep, you did it right. actually using the .mp2 file would work fine too, but i like to keep the ac3 if i had demuxed it previously as you did
                            seems like it will be fine, just a tip: next time note the file lengths of a 2-part project. if they are several minutes apart or more do a 60-40 split etc.
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• brownbox
                              Questioneer!
                              • Feb 2006

n00b needs help on converting/finding a AVI to DVD program that's free,

Since I don't want to create a new thread, I seem to be having problems with a file of mine. It's an AVI and I tried countless of things to convert it to DVD(mpeg) and I was wondering if there is one that could possibly take care of this. The file itself is 690 MB is 2 1/2 hours or so long being the fact it's a concert. I downloaded many programs to try and help me convert but they only did a fraction or other programs which left a watermark. Yes i am a cheap bastard and I am just wondering if there is something that's free. let me know. thanks.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by brownbox
                                Since I don't want to create a new thread,
                                why not? go to the authoring and editing section under sticky: "READ THIS FIRST" look for the avi2dvd guide courtesy of benbryant.
                                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...