Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wink
    • Aug 2005

.mpeg4 conversion to .asf,.avi

does anyone know of any free software that can convert .mpeg4 format video to .asf or .avi, or .wmv video format.

the reason is this .

i have .mpeg4 videos that can play on my sony psp.

but to play on my computer, i have to use quick time player.

i like to use other player beside apple to play on my computer.

also i like to edit some of my .mpeg4 videos & my editing programs cannot handle .mpeg4.

but if i can convert them to .asf or .avi or wmv.

i can use my editing programs.

please help!
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

you mean *.mp4?

if its ASP, use YAMB to mux to extract to avi.

if AVC, use YAMB to extract streams in raw format, and AVC2AVI to mux to avi

you'll need ffdshow from http://x264.nl for editing applications to accept it.

avisynth directshowsource() is an alternative
    Last edited by anonymez; 22 May 2006, 09:45 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• wink
      • Aug 2005

hi,
      i am confused by all the term you are using.

i basically have the nuroes mpeg4 recorder that i encode my video on to the psp duo pro memory stick which i then pop into the psp to play.

the encoded file is the .mpeg4 format that sony psp accept.

but the .mpeg4 format sucks for editing since my inter video program does not recognize the format, but if it was .asf or .avi, i have no problem.

Comment

• benbryant
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Aug 2005

If you want to watch or play .mp4 files with different player other than QuickTime, you can install ffdshow (get it from anonymez's above post) and use Media Player Classic which is a wonderful free player

To convert .mp4 to .avi files, you can use AviSynth and VirtualDubMod. Just create a simple AVS script such as : DirectShowSource("D:\yourmp4.mp4") and load it to VirtualDubMod. Warning! the newly converted .avi file will be 50 times or more bigger in size comparing to the original .mp4 file though

Regards

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

@ben: encoding isn't needed http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...083#post397083

To convert .mp4 to .avi files, you can use AviSynth and VirtualDubMod. Just create a simple AVS script such as : DirectShowSource("D:\yourmp4.mp4") and load it to VirtualDubMod. Warning! the newly converted .avi file will be 50 times or more bigger in size comparing to the original .mp4 file though
          only reason to encode to ASP is for standalone (divx/xvid) playback. not needed since psp does main and baseline avc. if you really need to encode, haali media splitter is required for mp4 since it uses dss. the resulting avi file will only be huge if you don't apply compression.

now the question is why the editing apps don't open the mp4 files, could be the container or no vfw codec. if the former just use YAMB, if the latter, enable h264 in ffdshow vfw config
          Last edited by anonymez; 23 May 2006, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• benbryant
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Aug 2005

MediaCoder seems to be a wonderful tool. Thanks anonymez for the guidance

Regards

Comment

• wink
              • Aug 2005

THE media coder sound great.

i will download & give it a try & let you know.

thanks

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

that's missing the point! it doesn't need encoding, which is what mediacoder does-- it will just take time and reduce quality.

download YAMB instead, its quite easy to use

@ben: no prob

Comment

• wink
                  • Aug 2005

hi,
                  i went to your x264 link.

which fddshow do i download, sse or sse2?

also would YAMB be in fddshow?
                  is that where i download YAMB?

can you also elaborate on btw mp4-->avi doesn't need any encoding-- use YAMB to extract to raw h264 format, then AVC2AVI to create your avi file

sorry for the stupid questions, but these terms are new to me.

by the way the mediacoder is great!!!

i was able to get my .mpeg4 to .avi but i want to do the non encoding that you are speking about.

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

get YAMB here http://yamb.unite-video.com

install & run it, click the 'extract' tab, open the mp4 file. click 'extract visual track ID to an avi file' (make sure the track id # is set for video) and click extract.

which fddshow do i download, sse or sse2?
                    you may not need it yet, follow the above steps and we'll see

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

the first test i did with yamb led to no result here

tried extracting to avi as well as raw

avi didnt play after second 3 or so and raw left me with a h264 file and no clue what to do with that

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

for ASP (divx, xvid, etc) you can extract to avi file as per usual

with AVC content, likely what you're dealing with, you'll need to extract to raw h264 and mux to avi with AVC2AVI-- get it here http://files.x264.nl/force.php?file=...v267_gui_v2.7z

curious why you'd want to have it in avi? bad idea-- keep it in mkv/mp4
                        Last edited by anonymez; 25 May 2006, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

yamb demuxed it to h264 but what would i want to be doing with it when no sound stream was demuxed?

thus i didnt even care to look for avc2avi

why i want an avi made from it?
                          very simple: playback from mpeg-4 capable player

i hate to watch files via a pc

Comment

• benbryant
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Aug 2005

@UncasMS
                            At first I encountered like UncasMS did. Then I selected the option "Extract Track ID... in raw format" first in 1 and then 2 for audio and video. By doing these steps, I ended up having to files: MP4_track2.h264 for video and MP4_track1.aac for audio. Next, I used AVC2AVI to mux the video to AVI. The problem is that AVC2AVI only accepted file with .264 file extension. To correct it, I just renamed the file MP4_track2.h264 into MP4_track2.264 and AVC2AVI opened it readily and converted it into a .avi file with .avi extension. I then tried to mux the newly made .avi file with audio - MP4_track1.aac. I found that no tool can be use to mux an .avi video file with an .aac audio file. I came up a solution by importing the original .mp4 file to the TMPGEnc Plus and used the option "Output to file: WAVE file" to extract and create the .wav file for audio. Finally, I used "AVIMux-GUI" to mux the .avi file and the .wav together.

In conclusion, IMHO, by using the Yamb and AVC2AVI, I can create an .avi file for video from a .mp4 file, but still have to extract and convert the audio to .ac3, .wav,...so I can mux the audio and video together

Regards

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by UncasMS
                              yamb demuxed it to h264 but what would i want to be doing with it when no sound stream was demuxed?
                              you can extract sound stream (aac) next & mux to the avi with avi-mux GUI, just use 'extract track ID to new mp4 file', making sure the correct # is selected

Originally Posted by UncasMS
                              why i want an avi made from it?
                              very simple: playback from mpeg-4 capable player
                              no standalone is currently capable of playing AVC, a re-encode is most definitely needed. changing containers won't make it compatible, needs encoding to mpeg4 ASP-- i'd go with directshowsource+haali+vdub-mpeg2

In conclusion, IMHO, by using the Yamb and AVC2AVI, I can create an .avi file for video from a .mp4 file, but still have to extract and convert the audio to .ac3, .wav,...so I can mux the audio and video together
                              extract audio with YAMB, mux to avi with avi-mux GUI. avi container supports AAC just fine
                              Last edited by anonymez; 26 May 2006, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...