Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewy
    replied
    Originally Posted by katzdvd
    & then there's always the add-on PCI/IDE card

they are OK for hard drives but not optical drives, sure some can get some drives to work on a few cards

way too iffy?

Leave a comment:

• katzdvd
    replied
    but I would be damned if I could only have one ide
    & then there's always the add-on PCI/IDE card

Leave a comment:

• Chewy
    replied
    what you all have to watch out for is matching components, katz's earlier thread I reccomended socket 939 for the added savings of older model motherboards, now that takes ddr memory and you get 2 ide's on the motherboard

with the right ram these older models don't really suffer compared to the newer ones

the am2 has potential now that lower cas ddr2 is coming down in price, but I would be damned if I could only have one ide

Leave a comment:

• katzdvd
    replied
    I am using a PCI Express vid card as well in my next build; It is the GeForce 7600 GT OC; 256 MB /Core Clock 580 Mhz. Mem. clock 1450 Mhz. As for your boot sequence, I suggest setting the BIOS to boot the main C: (Windows) drive first; the pc will boot faster when it doesn't have to look at the floppy, CD/DVD etc. during the boot process.

If you do get into trouble & need to reformat, you can always enter the BIOS during the boot screen & set it to CD as you need to.
    I am learning... so don't get frustrated.
    We are all in a "learning process", that's what makes it fun!

Leave a comment:

• JakeBlues
    replied
    don't laugh...

Originally Posted by UncasMS
    do you intend to use the onboard vga unit in order to build some sort of a HTPC?
    I need some old people interpreter here ummm
    "yo, umm dawg what be "vga", and what be banging wif that "HTPC" lyric holmes? I'd like to see yo azz use it in a sentence!

wahaha honesty I dunno what it means...
    There use to be like VGA cards for video... but I am going with CHewy's idea of the PCI express.. I can't see me using sli for anything.
    I am learning... so don't get frustrated.

Leave a comment:

• JakeBlues
    replied
    I use floppy drives... can't give up the 3.5 inch floppy yet... I have a ton!
    Hugz,

Umm ... back in the old days I set the floppy first to check in order from the bias.. this not accepted anymore?
    Dayum I hate getting old!
    Last edited by JakeBlues; 17 Mar 2007, 12:18 PM. Reason: combined infos from 2 post

Leave a comment:

• UncasMS
    replied
    do you intend to use the onboard vga unit in order to build some sort of a HTPC?

Leave a comment:

• katzdvd
    replied
    he had the a8v-vm in use before and we ordered a new one but didnt see the addition SE to the name a8v-vm before we held the mobo in hand what we ended up with was a similar board but with only TWO ram slots left where we had 4 before
    I know, gotta pay real close attention to the specs! I've been there, too. It seems lame that companies are limiting the number of RAM slots/PCI/Others.

I guess in the future there will be just 1 ram slot, or even worse, soldered down onboard memory, not upgradeable!

Leave a comment:

• UncasMS
    replied
    Originally Posted by JakeBlues
    When you say BOOT drive.. you mean a floppy or what?
    no, jake

katz meant the harddrive from which your OS is going to boot from

he probably had in mind that booting from an SATA drive as opposed to an IDE version can sometimes be a bit more difficult

Leave a comment:

• UncasMS
    replied
    The Asus A8V-VM
    take a close look at the exact version in this case

i had to replace this very board in a friends pc some days ago after a lightning had hit the house

he had the a8v-vm in use before and we ordered a new one but didnt see the addition SE to the name a8v-vm before we held the mobo in hand

what we ended up with was a similar board but with only TWO ram slots left where we had 4 before

Leave a comment:

• jm1647
    replied
    120mm case fans - buy 2 get 1 free $3.99 each and get $5.00 shipping with coupon code listed in deal . I ordered 4 and got 6

Leave a comment:

• katzdvd
    replied
    not quite so - you're running into trouble finding boards with the usual 2 ide connectors

when i build a new pc recently i couldnt find a decent board with 2 ide ports any more but since i wanted to use 1 ide burner and 3 sata hdds in it it wasnt a big deal
    True, UncasMS, along with the AGP port, & everything else, eventually; always moving on to faster, better!!!

But for the pc that Jake is contemplating building as per this thread & the other pc build thread, there are plenty? of mobos avail. w/ (2) IDE ports.
    The Asus A8V-VM, for example, that I plan on using for my build soon...I know, there is faster stuff out there!

No, I meant your "C" drive, where XP is installed. Sorry for the confusion!
    floppy drive???!?? who uses that old thing anymore! LOL (I still do)

Leave a comment:

• JakeBlues
    replied
    I can't change the speed... It only let's me run at 7x or max (x isn't suppose to be supported on that drive.. I'll be damned if I know why.

Leave a comment:

• UncasMS
    replied
    Mainboards are still coming with (2) IDE connectors, so I don't see any problems; Are you going to go w/ a SATA for your boot drive?
    not quite so - you're running into trouble finding boards with the usual 2 ide connectors

when i build a new pc recently i couldnt find a decent board with 2 ide ports any more but since i wanted to use 1 ide burner and 3 sata hdds in it it wasnt a big deal

Leave a comment:

• katzdvd
    replied
    At first I thought it just wasn't use to having quality media inserted into it and was like rejecting it (hehe) but it appears not so.
    Verbatim media, good. Try lowering your scanning speed to something like 8x & run scan again; if memory serves me right, I ran into this kind of problem when I scanned at max. before.

The Samsungs and the Harddrives are all IDE
    I use all IDE as well, except for my newest HD that is a 250 GB SATA.

In my main video pc, I have;
    (2) Benq 1655 (IDE)
    (2) Benq 1650 (IDE)

I once ran the (2) Benq 1650 (IDE) on an add-on PCI/IDE card, but Chewy beat me up really bad over that, so I stopped doing it

Actually, there were some other issues going on as well with boot files still on a storage drive that I was using, & was causing some boot conflicts, but that was my own fault for not completely wiping the drive when I changed it from a boot to storage drive.

Mainboards are still coming with (2) IDE connectors, so I don't see any problems; Are you going to go w/ a SATA for your boot drive?

Leave a comment:

Working...